Knowing what to do after an accident will help you remain calm and in control. It can also help you get back on the road faster.
In the event of an accident, be sure to follow these steps:
1. Call 911 if anyone is seriously injured. If not, call a nonemergency number for police or highway patrol.
2. Move your car safely out of traffic (if possible) and warn oncoming traffic with hazard lights and flares.
3. Try to remain calm, and do not admit fault. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s).
4. Gather information from the accident scene: take pictures of the scene, the plate, the damage, and the other driver’s license and insurance card; talk to witnesses; and draw a sketch of the accident.
5. Do not discuss the accident or sign any documents. Only answer questions asked by the police.
6. Get the investigating officer’s contact information (if available) and ask for a copy of the police report (if available).
7. As soon as possible, file your claim.
Discuss your goals and coverage needs
Review your best-fit insurance plan
Choose your billing preferences