Tornadoes are violently rotating columns of fast spinning air that extend from a thunderstorm to the ground. They are funnel shaped like an ice cream cone. Tornados can reach speeds of up to 300 miles per hour and can occur over land or water!
Keep in mind that tornados can happen anytime, bring intense winds, can happen anywhere and look like funnels from the ground to the clouds.
To protect yourself from tornados remember this information to protect yourself and if you are under a tornado warning, find safe shelter right away!
Steps to stay safe:
- Go to a safe room, basement, or storm cellar.
- If there is no basement, get to a small, interior room on the lowest level.
- Stay away from windows, doors, and outside walls.
- If you can safely get to a sturdy building, do so immediately.
- Do not get under an overpass or bridge. You’re safe in a low, flat location.
- Watch out for flying debris that can cause injury or death.
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck.
Because tornados can occur anytime, keep your eyes on the skies and always pay attention to your surroundings.