If you're like many, a comfortable backyard gathering around the warmth and comfort of a backyard fire is a great way to spend time together in the fresh air. While some of your favorite memories may be made around a portable fire pit, backyard chiminea, or outdoor fire ring, it's critical to follow safe outdoor fire protocols to protect your home and your health, especially as recent fire activity has shown . In fact, it's a good idea to check your homeowner's insurance policy to determine if your backyard fire pit is covered.
Here are safety tips to consider:
1) Stay far from buildings, fences, tables & roof overhangs,
2) Clear clutter from firepit,
3) Wear non-flammable clothing,
4) Keep kids and pets away from flames,
5) Watch the wood and keep it inside the pit,
6) Contain the flames to at least 12 inches deep,
7) Douse the flame well with sand/water when you are done.
By following these tips you are ensuring a safe and fun night around your backyard gathering space!